Web Applications are now the default presentation layer within enterprises for day to day work.
Progressive web applications (PWAs) or Serverless apps have made the Desktop Application to Web Application transition seamless. Not just seamless but preferable.
What are Progressive Web Applications (PWAs)?
PWAs are solutions built on new technology stacks like React that allow the enterprise to break the dependency between the presentation layer and the server layer. This separation gives an experienced development team the tools needed to create a friction-less web experience.
For the past decade, the debate has raged as to whether the mobile web will dominate or whether mobile apps will prevail. The answer is that they are not mutually exclusive and most organizations need both. The case should be made around the business needs and audience. Go through a proper understanding phase can determine the best direction for the presentation layer.
With that approach solidifying, PWAs are emerging, which blur the lines between Web and Apps. PWAs use the latest browser technologies to meld the accessibility of the web with the presence of the mobile app. Most of the leading desktop and mobile browsers (except for Safari and browsers on iOS at the time of writing) have embraced the browser advancements brought forth by Mozilla, Google, Facebook and others to implement embedded features that enable the PSAs to feel like an app. The embedded feature take advantage of modern browser functionality. New browser functionality gives your audience the ability to install the PWA as an app icon on their home screen, utilize app features such as push notifications and the ability to work from offline storage.
Recommendation for Web Applications
- Start adding support for Web Applications, especially if the Android operating system (OS) is a significant part of your mobile user base, based on improvements in mobile web performance and engagement.
- Design PWA solutions with support for push notifications and offline storage to create applike engagement and performance. However, the UX should assume no service worker support, because iOS devices are not yet enabled.
- Re-evaluate existing apps’ ROI and compare app maintenance costs to incremental PWA costs, but do not halt your mobile app initiatives, especially if iOS is important.
- Consider moving older windows applications to PWAs in order to consolidate enterprise architecture.
- Presentation Layers that do not require use of native device features should highly consider PWAs as an alternative to native application development.
Not sure how to get started with PWAs, we can help. We removed a lot of the complication of the app development process by creating a streamlined 4 step process.
By leveraging our staff of seasoned veterans we can dive into your organizations business and audience needs to get a holistic understanding of your short term and long term goals. This understanding can save your $100’s of thousands in the long term!
Step 1 - Understand
Understand how the business and audience will leverage the solution.
Step 2 - Design
Prototype and validate possible solutions.
Step 3 - Create
Build and refine the solution.
Step 4 - Optimize
Launch and grow the solution.